For two weeks in late January, a unique opportunity exists to view bald eagles at close range during the Sheffield Mills Eagle Watch. During the festival weekends, there is a raptor display at a local hall, a pancake and sausage breakfast and the opportunity to talk with naturalists, watch videos, view prize winning photos and more.
The 2007 Tall Ships Challenge will start in the United States and head along the east coast to Nova Scotia with the Talls Ships expected to be in Halifax around July 13 to 16, 2007.
The Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge in 2009 will arrive in Halifax in July after a series of races that will begin in Spain. From Halifax the fleet will race back across the Atlantic to the United Kingdom.
Now open is the Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport. This 145-room property is located only 4 km (2.5 miles) from the Halifax International Airport and 25 minutes from downtown Halifax.
Bay Ferries Limited will run its high-speed ferry, The Cat, between Portland, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia three days a week. The existing service to/from Bar Harbor, Maine will run four days a week. Visit www.catferry.com for further information.
Condor Airlines will run a third flight to Nova Scotia in 2006 from Hannover, Germany, running Wednesdays from May 24 to October 11. Condor will also extend their Monday service from Frankfurt to Halifax by 12 weeks running from May 8 to October 16. Friday service from Frankfurt will continue from May 5 to October 27.
Air Transat have extended their Wednesday service from Munich to Halifax by 3 weeks running from May 24 to October 11.
UK Air Transat / Globespan is scheduled for weekly service into Halifax on Thursdays from May 18 until October 5.
The new 5200 square foot Celtic Music Interpretive Centre in Judique on Cape Breton Island will open in June 2006. The new centre will feature archives, workshops, performances, photo gallery, audio collections, gift shop and more. Group tours welcome. www.celticmusicsite.com
The Tartan Gardens, also in Judique, is a unique celebration of Scottish heritage with over 12,000 flowers planted in the MacDonald Clan Ranald tartan and the Cape Breton tartan. Changes, adjustments and improvements are ongoing. www.tartangardens.com
Be sure and visit www.novascotiaseacoast.com as a starting point for travel and tourism in the Eastern and Northern Shore areas of Nova Scotia. This new and exciting interactive website offers tourism packages by adventure type featuring camping, inns, resorts, golf vacations and more.
Ambassatours Gray Line is holding their 2006 Tour Operator Fam Tours of Nova Scotia, New Brusnwick and Prince Edward Island from May 19-25 and May 22-29, 2006. These tours are operated exclusively for Tour Operator “decision makers” who would use Ambassatours Gray Line as a receptive operator. Space is limited. For further information contact Richard Arnold or Joan Luiken at 1-800-565-7371 or email ambassatours.com / ambassatours.com
TayMac Tour’s annual fam tour of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island takes place from May 20-27, 2006. For further information, visit:
- Lonely Planet’s Bluelist has named the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island one of the best road trips.
- The Ottawa Citizen has chosen Hall’s Harbour, Nova Scotia as the #1 place in the world to eat lobster.
The following events have been selected as two of ABA’s 2006 Top 100 Events:
- Changing of the Guard - July 17-25, Halifax
- Celtic Colors International Festival - October 6-14, Cape Breton
2006 editions of the following Nova Scotia literature are now available:
- Doers' & Dreamers' Guide (English & French)
- Festivals and Events Guide
- Golf Guide
- Outdoor Adventure Guide
Nova Scotia representative(s) will be attending these upcoming marketplaces / trade shows:
- AAA Southern New England Marketplace, March 3-5, Foxborough, MA
- ITB Berlin, March 8-12, Berlin Exhibition Grounds
- Spotlight Canada UK, March 13-15, Ibis Earls Court Hotel, London
- Seatrade Cruise Shipping Convention, March 13-16, 2006, Miami Beach Convention Center, Miami Beach
- Boston Globe Travel Show, March 24-26, 2006, Seaport World Trade Center Exhibition Hall, Boston
- The Summer Celebration (formerly Salon Vacances), April 7-9, Place Bonaventure, Montreal; and April 21-23, Centre de Foires Expocité, Quebec City
Mark your calendar for Atlantic Canada Showcase 2006. The region’s premier travel trade marketplace will be held October 3-5, 2006 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.